SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please Help Me.
Thread: Please Help Me.
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan22 View Post
It's kind of like my Grampa always said 'sometimes it don't get better, sometimes it just gets.'

I bought a Catalina 22 in March of this and spent three months rehabbing interior, new cushions and covers, new wiring, lights, control panel, lights, storage covers, table, companionway hatch, fenders, lines, PFDs, anchor, tuned motor and said "she's ready " and took her out.

First sail was great, loaded boat on trailer, lowered mast, five minutes into drive home trailer comes loose causing boat to slide off bunks. I pull into a parking lot, jack tongue of trailer up, hook back on truck, use a cushion on top of jack and lift boat and push her back on bunks. Surprisingly only a gouge on her bow is all tat happened.

Next day I say enough of this and rent a mooring buoy for the season. Put boat in water and everything is great, especially since we had a drought this year, no storms for a couple of months. First major storm roars in and I get call my boat is off buoy. I go out in wind and rain and sure enough boat is pushed into cove against seawall, luckily I always raise keel when tied off, after looking at everything I find out mooring cable broke at bottom of lake. I get out 300 foot of line and a life jacket and swim out to closest mooring buoy, tie up and pull boat out and secure her and swim back in.

Two days later I come out to check boat out only a couple of scratches to show for her aventure and think OK enough of this everything ought to be good for the rest of the year.

Not so fast there Bucko, a couple of weeks later I get a call from a guy on a mooring buoy next to mine that my boat is once again up against the seawall, I go out and have to get her back out to the mooring buoy, this one is not a broken cable but the ring on the bottom of the buoy. Once I get her tied off on a new buoy I notice my rudder is nowhere to be found and spend roughly three hours going from shore to the mooring buoy (ankle deep to over my head) until I find it.

Surely it can't get any worse right, well that depends on your point of view. It seems someone admired the prop so much they borrowed it and still haven't returned it, they tried to visit the interior (I'm sure to get out of the weather during a storm and not take anything). The day I pulled her for the winter I was standing on the deck and dropped my iphone and watch it sink to to bottom of the lake.

A couple of times I made half hearted comments about getting rid of her, performing an
exorcism, sacrificing a chicken or hiring that short lady from Poltergiest to do her deal and hear her say "this boat is clean " but after only having her out of the water for three weeks all I can think of is how much fun I'm going to have next year. I think I need a twelve step program, "hi my name's John and I sail "
Thanks for your story.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook