SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailcloth: laminated or woven?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 11-07-2012 Thread Starter
Ulfilas

Re: sailcloth: laminated or woven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I had a molded North cruising genoa that I finally replaced after 10 years of fairly light use--only raced it once, when it was brand new. It had the traditional mold issues and got to the point where it started to delaminate in places. I replaced it with a premium dacron sail from Evolution that I've had for 2 seasons with impressive performance.

My premium dacron North main was purchased the same year and has held up reasonably well, but was getting tired. I have recently ordered a new premium dacron main from Evolution.

Bottom line. I won't go back to a molded sail, which might do well at first, but won't hold up for the longer haul. Nor have I been particularly impressed with the North sails, which is one of the reasons I went to Evolution for the new sails, which are made locally.
Hello Fallard
I had the same sad experience like you with my laminated genoa. Increasing horrible mold problems disseminitating between the laminate nd partial delamination. I share your decission of switching to premium dacron. I had a quotation from our local north shop. They offered two cuts: the traditional Ccut or a triradial cut. I dont know if radial cuts make sense with dacron sails.

Saludos

Ulfilas
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome