SailNet Community - View Single Post - Freedoms, Niagaras, and Wauquiez - oh my
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Freedoms, Niagaras, and Wauquiez - oh my

Hi all,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new (to me) sailboat (32-36-ft range) and will be spending the next 4 days on the NE coast viewing a whole slew of boats (listed below). As you'll see, I am most enamored with the Freedom cat boats, particularly the "cat-ketches," but the others are by no means low on the list. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated such as: what to look for that might not be so obvious, your overall experiences with any of these, sailing capabilities, whether one is more squirrely than the others for offshore use, etc. I would get surveyors for the boat and engine. The plan is to outfit it and sail around the San Juan Islands until next fall, sail it to San Fran, and then single-hand race and cruise for a couple of years. I'm a diver, so stern access is important, but I'm willing to compromise on this. Amount of space and cabin layout are not overly important (right now), but I do plan to live on it.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions! It's great to have this virtual community to count on in the future.

Freedom 32, 33 and 36/28
Yamaha 33
Canadian Sailcraft 33
Saturna Offshore 33
Niagara 31 and 35
Coast 34 (custom-built)
Wauquiez Pretorian 33
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook