SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Peter,

Overall, a 1000 would probably do what you want. If you want an AC unit of some sort to work, you would generally speaking, need at least a 2000W unit to run AC.

You could also get a 2000, 3000+ would be better, and us at your home duing outages too. I did that with a EB3500 I bought years ago. Went that big to power a land yacht, also my home. A double usage use in my case. So just as well to go bigger than smaller. The inverter gensets were not as in vogue as today.

Running one on an angle....depends upon "IF" the motor has a true oil pump. Along with how much oil and angle as to if the pump will pickup and mover the oil around the motor. If it is more of a splash circulating motor, ala older briggs motors. just about any angle will make it such that oil is not getting splashed thru out the motor.

You could attempt at making a gimble, similar to what your stove should have if you really needed to use something like this to charge batteries etc. You might also figure out how much power the charger needs too. 1000W may not be enough to charger your house bank in a reasonable amount of time too.

At the end of the day, best to try and figure out how much power you need, give yourself 25-30% more, and get that sized unit. I can not even remember if a hair dryer or two can run on 1000W, I believe it can, so that would be bare bones minimum frankly.

marty