SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

I agree with Marty about the bigger is better in some ways. We acheived that by having two Honda eu2000 which you can run in paralell if we needsed something for the house. The One eu2000 is more than enough for our needs on the boat. We atually rarely use it with our type of sailing so far. Weekend sailing or the occasion one month sailing trip each summer. I primarily got it for cruising or small jobs aorund the house, and for the second one because of the frequent power outages in Maryland.

The key for the weekend sailor at a slip is a big enough battery bank as well as charging system. For the person on a mooring some of its similar, but i can see where someone might use a generator to charge also. Be mindfull however that the size of your bank and the way you charge it will still facxtor in here. Without passive charging getting past the 85% range may not be cost effective with engines/ generator.

Peter, how exactly do you plan on ccharing your batteries with the generator,,,direct or througha 3 stage charger. What is the capacity of your bank? what type of batteries?

Figuring energy systems on your boat piecemeal is not the best approach. You should have an overall plan even though you cant afford to institute it all at once because of cost. It will save you dollars in the long run.

Lastley if this is for your Hunter 25 I would caution you as others here have as to the dangers of CO2 and also the hazzard of carrying gasoline on board in compartments not made for hazzardous gases. Many including us use this type of generator very carefully away from our boats so we dont siphon CO2 into the vessel from either the hatches, or the effect of our dodgers creating a small pressure difference behibd the boat thus sucking the fumes back into our cabins through the cockpit. The gasoline danger is obvious. It is highly combustable and its fumes are usually what cause the problems. Most store it in either airtight compartments with drains like propane isoltaed from the rest of the boat or in our dinghys behind the boat. Storing the generator simply in a lzzarette could lead to a dangerous situatuion.

dave
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-08-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook