SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Emotions Over The Bounty Tragedy
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Emotions Over The Bounty Tragedy

There's no doubt that the form of communication the human race has been built upon, that of face to face type of stuff, has become almost devoid in today's society. The Internet has invited faceless and anonymous interjections, opinions and comments in virtually every aspect of our world, and instantly. That, we cannot control, but maybe we can offer a saner and more civil option to mindless bashing from anonymous "beings" in cyberworld.

But this particular tragedy has stirred up emotions like I've never seen. Is it the history of the original? Is it the fact the ship was featured in two movies? Or is it the love of adventure that mesmerizes so many of us?

I've seen the pictures of the HMS Bounty. I can just imagine what I would feel being at the helm, or even the captain. It's hard to imagine not being pulled into the moment.

The other boats that went down with loss of life were fiberglass, modern and devoid of any history. Is that why the Bounty captures us so much? She was the real thing, heavy timbers, tall masts, ropes and lines everywhere, and human monkeys scrambling to make her sail. Is that what it is? I don't know. I just hope it never happens again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook