SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Emotions Over The Bounty Tragedy
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: The Emotions Over The Bounty Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I've been involved over the years, well decades, in a lot of post accident analysis and investigation of sailing vessel accidents. I can understand the, "Let's not speculate, Monday morning quarterback professionals, wait for the facts, etc., etc....". If there was ever an sailing vessel tragedy in which these things don't apply, it's this one. I just don't see any mystery or grey areas here, other than what was going on in the captain's mind in New London.
Anyone who takes even the smallest vessel out on the water makes decisions that can have tragic consequences. I think there is great value in all of us pondering how even a mariner as competent and experienced as this ship's master can delude himself.

My tolerance for uniformed and naive statements in forums like this is framed by my background which most of you aren't aware of. "Tall Ships Down", is a book that discusses five sailing vessel losses. I was involved in the investigation or analysis of three of them. I did the research and developed the basic regulatory framework that distinguishes the sailing school vessel stability requirements from those for passenger vessel. Founding chairman of the ASTA Technical Committee. Consultant and expert witness for the British government to do stability analysis in the Marques inquiry.
The grandest tradition of the sea is the concept of the Master of a vessel who is responsible for every aspect of the voyage and its outcome. Even if it could be determined that the vessel would have survived the weather but for the failure of a piece of machinery, it would be the captain's responsibility because part of the job description is to know the condition of every system and factor that into voyage decisions.
There can be no question, however, that, if the captain had elected to stay in New London, everyone would be alive today. The ship might have been damaged but it's highly unlikely that it would not have been repairable. It is also almost virtually certain that the ship could have moved to a more protected port without incident if there was some compelling reason to leave New London.

It's easy to say something like, "Well, if you want to be perfectly safe, you would never leave port." However, there is a spectrum of risk. The decisions made here are so far out to the extreme risk side of that spectrum and so far separated from the norm as to justify equally unusual responses.
Your wisdom and knowledge is appreciated. Your post sums it up.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook