SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Peter,

Not sure if one can get a retro-fit kit, you may want to look into making the genset you do get an LP useage. You do lose some power using LP, I do not recall the amount, for discussion purposes, I am recalling around 10%, so the 2000s unit would produce around 1800w.

A LOT of folks use the 2000w with land yachts, then link together, as at around 50-60 lbs iirc are easier to move than a single 3-4K unit in the low 100 lbs range. Yeah a 1000 at 25-30 lbs is easier yet........again, it depends upon how much power you need! Not sure if the 1K unit will tie together like the 2K units will to produce ~4Kw of power. If 50-60 lbs is too much for you to lift, but you need say 1500w of power at your max useage, then 2 -1K units tied together may be an option if you can do that.

If it were me, I would really try to find an lp operated genset, as at least then, while not CO free, compared to gas, very CO free, way less threat from fumes etc. I am sure there is an additional 200-500 cost.......but worth it imho!

Marty