SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Having gas on board always increases danger of fire. Unfortunately, there seems to be no diesel as handy as those little Honda generators. I would love to have a small, secondary, fixed diesel generator but have never seen one that was not too heavy and large to be practical on a 35' boat. I would think Honda could answer the OP's question about running at an angle. It's a good question.
I had the same problem and for someone that stays 3 months cruising and only goes to marinas four or five times during that time, electrical energy is really a problem.

After looking at all generators that are in the market I decided for upgrading the battery pack and improve the potential to create energy with an alternator. I guess that if you don't use AC you don't need one.

I did not went for a marine generator because they are more expensive (not much) than maximizing the system you have but most of all because it has an expensive maintenance and makes more noise than the boat engine (I am talking about the small ones, with one cylinder).

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook