SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn43 View Post
I have a question about the stuffing box on my boat. I have attached a picture to show the arrangement. The stuffing box has two grease fittings, one on the compression ring and one on the end of the male fitting. I have been able to find a couple examples of stuffing boxes with the fitting on the compression ring, but have not found any examples with the other grease fitting.

Has anyone else run across a setup like mine? Should grease be used in both fittings? Why is there a fitting on the male side? Could grease in the fitting on the male side interfere with water flowing through the stuffing box?

Any other information, thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.
Looks like a DIY jury rig.. That box style did not come with zerks and they can and do create the potential for corrosion as they are not bronze. The aft zerk will prevent cooling water from getting to the box once the log is filled with grease.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook