SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Peter,

Not sure if one can get a retro-fit kit, you may want to look into making the genset you do get an LP useage. You do lose some power using LP, I do not recall the amount, for discussion purposes, I am recalling around 10%, so the 2000s unit would produce around 1800w.

A LOT of folks use the 2000w with land yachts, then link together, as at around 50-60 lbs iirc are easier to move than a single 3-4K unit in the low 100 lbs range. Yeah a 1000 at 25-30 lbs is easier yet........again, it depends upon how much power you need! Not sure if the 1K unit will tie together like the 2K units will to produce ~4Kw of power. If 50-60 lbs is too much for you to lift, but you need say 1500w of power at your max useage, then 2 -1K units tied together may be an option if you can do that.

If it were me, I would really try to find an lp operated genset, as at least then, while not CO free, compared to gas, very CO free, way less threat from fumes etc. I am sure there is an additional 200-500 cost.......but worth it imho!

Marty
Here you go! Propane conversion...THE ONLY WAY TO GO with generators!! I converted my 5500W Home Depot special and it works GREAT! A 30lb. bottle seems to last forever. I converted my Dad's little Coleman 3500 anfter years of fooling around with bad gas, clogged lines etc. My sister has it now since my Dad moved into his apartment we builrt him. A Honda 2K is on our goodie list as well (Might look into that Yamaha3000) when we get it there will be NO question...I will convert it right away to propane.

A and C Kit List kits
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook