SailNet Community - View Single Post - recommendations on jumping off point from Florida to Bahamas
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: recommendations on jumping off point from Florida to Bahamas

Blackpoint marina in south Miami. They have facilities and a deep boat ramp, trailer storage and reasonable rates. I cross to Bimini from Angle Fish creek, a half day sail from the Marina. The reason you want to leave from down there is the further south you start your crossing the easier it is to navigate the stream. Bimini has cheap marinas and walking distance to customs, it's easy to clear there, it takes minuets. You can cruise The key Largo area gunk holeing around while you wait for a window. Leave Angle fish at midnight and get to Bimini for lunch. You'll hit the shipping traffic around first light. You want the light above or .behind you when you enter Bimini. I've anchored in Angle Fish for as much as a week waiting for the right window and never got bored exploring the area. There are hose's available at the ramp for washing salt off your trailer so I don't sea that as an issue.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-08-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook