SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Engine Panel Design
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom Engine Panel Design

Regarding tachometer senders and tachometers:

Don't know about the 1GM10 but for my 2QM15 the tachometer sender is a flywheel sensor and is located on the engine block just forward of the transmission on the port side. It has two male terminals on it.

For speed sensing using this type of sensor the tachometer used must be matched to the number of teeth on the flywheel. My engine has 114 teeth on the flywheel. For OPer: 1GM10 has 97 teeth.

My memory is that the stock number of the meters have the no. of teeth they are designed to work with as part of the number. Also the meter face has the number of flywheel teeth it is designed to work with engraved on the meter face.

For my Yanmar (and others) the alternator output can used for tachometer sensing IF it has an alternator fitted with an "R" or "N" terminal. VDO meters can be used in this application. To match the VDO tach with the alternator you have to know the number of electromagnetic poles of the alternator and buy a tach designed to be used with that number of poles (frequency matching the pulsing waveform coming out of the alternator).

On Yachting and Boating World Forums (www dot ybw dot com) one member mentions converting an alternator for use with a tach for a 1GM10 and might be worth a look for those interested. The thread is "Recalibrating Yanmar P116 Tachometer to P97 - Possible?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook