SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree that I would rather not have an engine running while sailing.

However, why is 1000w any less efficient way of running the 110v chargers than anything else? Has to be more efficient than my genset and any engine driven alternator.
Well, not sure what sort of power he has, or charging system, etc...

But, if memory serves, the 1000 only puts out something like 8 amps in the 12v direct charge mode...

If I try to use my 1000 using my 1000w inverter/battery charger which normally charges at around 50 amps max, I have to reconfigure the "Power Share" function to a much lower setting, down to around 20-25 amps for the Honda to be able to run it... So, at that point, my engine's alternator will offer a much higher charging rate...

As you say, the Honda 1000 is a great little tool, but I consider it to be little more than an emergency back-up, I just don't think it makes sense as a means to charge batteries on a cruising boat on a routine basis...

I'll admit, it has come in handy over the last 10 days or so... Not this morning, however, didn't seem necessary to run my refrigerator for awhile today - leaving the fridge open inside my house probably would have worked just as well... (grin)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook