SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rate your Marina during Sandy ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Rate your Marina during Sandy ?

We ended up having peak winds of 50kts, with sustained over 40 and heavy rain in RI. However, up until two or three days prior, we were still in the cone of uncertainty. Albeit, most models were converging well to the West.

I found it surprising that the marina never put its hurricane haul out process in place. I was hauled, but only because I was near my winter haulout date. They moved it up a week. They did secure everything that was outside and put extra stands under the more exposed boats on the hard.

Although, to give them credit, I understand there was only one boat that asked to be quick hauled for the hurricane. Of course, there was one more that tried to game the system by asking that their winter hauling be billed as hurricane hauling. The marina refused. I don't blame them.

Ultimately, we had a 6 ft surge that put water in the parking lot, but the floating docks still had 3 ft left on the pilings. Essentially no damage to the marina and none to any of the boats.

I only hope its not a sign of complacency. This is our third year in a row with a tropical storm threat and none have been the "big one".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook