SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

I used to deliver this boat to Central America and back every year with this old guy who had a little honda " suit case" gen mounted on deck infront of his mast in a ply wood box. He needed it to make coffee with his electric perculator and make breakfast in his microwave. When the boat would heel too much to port, it would'nt run because of the oil censor cut off thing. We would have to run down wind to flatten the boat out so he could make coffee. One year he was proud becuase he figured out how to get that censor out and it would stop cutting off when the boat rolled. I alway's thought the set up was silly, but to each his own. My wife had a gen like that on her ranger 26 when we where dating. It was great at anchor, She kept it on the cockpit floor when useing it. On eco throttle you could'nt hear till you where right up next to the boat, we used it to watch movies. ( before every one had lap tops.) Never had a fume problem and gas is kept on most boats anyway's for outboards, so that was not an issue.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook