SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Expensive is the Virgin Islands to Live on Board ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: How Expensive is the Virgin Islands to Live on Board ?

Well, first off I'm alone aboard, so don't use much energy. The AGM battery bank is 1000 AH (at 24V) and my genset can charge that bank with almost 200Amps through the Victron charger so I can replenish the amps very quickly without overloading either the genset or overheating the batteries (this is where a big house bank pays off).

The quiet and energy efficient Spectra Newport 400 makes about 1 liter per minute. And yes, watermakers want to be run often so that the membranes never get a chance to get biologically active and clogged. Unfortunately the rinse cycle after running uses about 10 liters, so the first 10 minutes of running the watermaker are just producing the water subsequently needed to clean the unit; for me 1 hour is about the minimum I'll run the system, giving me only 1/5 wastage.

I drink the water generated by the watermaker all the time. I do make sure that I get lots of "mineralised water" as well and usually get it in the form of "Caribe" or "Presidente" or "Red Stripe" in conveniently sized packages.

p.s. I tend to sail every day and thus will fire up the engine to leave the anchorage and if I know it is a longer motor trip I'll trigger off the watermaker as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 11-09-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added postscript
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook