SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?

Hey Chris,
The Typhoons are very pretty boats, but as Sabreman said the Catalina 22 may be the more comfortable weekender. The pop-top model even more so.

We had a 22 wing keel. I deliberately looked for a wing so there would be less maintenance than with a swing keel and you still only draw 2 1/2 feet. It was a great little boat and I still miss her sometimes. If you plan to trailer rather than keep her in a slip the swing keel may be more attractive.

If you do some online searching you'll also find these little boats are tougher than many give them credit for. This guy, "Chip Ahoy" Home has done some serious cruising in his.

There's also something to be said for the support with these boats. Fleet 22 is based in Annapolis Fleet 22 Home , there is a very active owners group catalina22.org and Catalina still provides factory support and manuals for these boats no matter their age. There's also CatalinaDirect that provides specific parts and non-factory upgrades for these boats. There is nothing you can think of that others haven't written about, figured out or done.

There's a reason the Catalina 22 is the most popular sailboat ever built.

Can you tell I really enjoyed ours?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook