SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #3216 of Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
High quality production boat versus Custom boat:

Originally Posted by Marsvinet View Post
Hi Paulo,

Yes it is beamy boat compared to the classics and therefore less pretty. However, the volume is better. Regarding the interior, i think it looks like a nice place to snuggle up with a cup of coffe on a rainy day.

Now, comparing this boat on a scale going from HR-MalÝ-Xc-Xp, how will she fare ?
With all honesty I cannot answer to that. Even in what regards building quality I have been many times inside the boats you mention and I only have seen some photos of the boat you mention.

However those brands have an huge knowledge for having built many boats with similar systems (rudder, keel fixation, structure, union of the hull/deck) and know pretty well what works so when you buy a boat from them you would have a lot more possibilities that will be a well built boat in all major points and if the boat is a new model, you will only have to care with small details that they will probably fix anyway. If it is a boat that is the 10 boat they made from the same exact model, probably even that has been sorted out.

Of course the Calipso 36 can be a very well built boat from the beginning and they can have all this areas well covered and get it all right on the first time. You can have luck, you can know enough of boat building to see the project and follow the building to assure everything is perfect (I don't have that level of knowledge) or have a total confidence on the NA and on the people that build the boat and then that will not be a problem for you.

There are however some things that are probably for sure:

That boat will offer a superior customization and probably the interior will be a lot like what you want and you will have an unique boat.

On the negative side that boat will not retain the value as an used boat as any of the others. It cannot mean nothing to someone that will have this boat as his final boat and know that he will not sell it, but money is money and value is value

Last edited by PCP; 11-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome