SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Anyway, this is an issue that I think got very confused due to the SW/SE confusion. Its clear from their path that they weren't making any serious effort to get East of the storm, but some initially said they were. It seems most likely that they were just heading south until they got a better idea of where they needed to be to catch the Western side. As it turned out, the storm headed West, so they needed to make the most dramatic adjustment. That's my theory.
I'm not sure how far north the storm had progressed when the ship sank, but I was thinking they were either northwest of the eye or directly west of it. If the captain wanted to get to the southeast quadrant, wouldn't it make sense he would have sailed along the western edge, then turned east after he had reached the southern edge of the storm? With the rotation of the storm and the apparent fact the ship sailed very poorly into the wind, that would seem the most logical route. So if he really was heading for the southeast quadrant, he couldn't have made that easterly heading until after the eye had passed to the north.

Of course, the extreme adrenaline junkie would have sailed right into the eye and popped back out the other side.

But really, if he wanted to get a "good ride" out of the storm AND reach his destination ASAP, he would have stayed to the west of the storm and hit that southwest quadrant.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook