SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-09-2012
Omatako

Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

I am contemplating making a dripless seal for my propshaft. Yes I know you can buy them but they're expensive and besides it's not only about saving money, it's about the sense of satisfaction.

A Marelon tube with three double-lipped oil seals as used in vehicle wheel bearings but the type that is fully rubber encased to prevent the shell from rusting. Between each seal a collar with a groove running around to distribute grease to the bleed-through hole.

The first two seals face the incoming water, the third at the other end of the tube faces the other way to contain the grease.

Then a zerk (? - I call them grease nipples) between the seals that allow the whole assembly to be pumped full of waterproof grease. From outside it would look like this:

It will take up less space on the shaft than the stuffing box I have now which I actually consider to be pre-historic and I reckon it will work really well.

Any reason why this would not work? The total cost excluding my labor (which when invoiced to me is really inexpensive ) would be about $40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome