SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

I am contemplating making a dripless seal for my propshaft. Yes I know you can buy them but they're expensive and besides it's not only about saving money, it's about the sense of satisfaction.

A Marelon tube with three double-lipped oil seals as used in vehicle wheel bearings but the type that is fully rubber encased to prevent the shell from rusting. Between each seal a collar with a groove running around to distribute grease to the bleed-through hole.

The first two seals face the incoming water, the third at the other end of the tube faces the other way to contain the grease.

Then a zerk (? - I call them grease nipples) between the seals that allow the whole assembly to be pumped full of waterproof grease. From outside it would look like this:

It will take up less space on the shaft than the stuffing box I have now which I actually consider to be pre-historic and I reckon it will work really well.

Any reason why this would not work? The total cost excluding my labor (which when invoiced to me is really inexpensive ) would be about $40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook