SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scotty, (Replace Old DC Breaker Panel) When Will I Have My Warp Power On Line ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Scotty, (Replace Old DC Breaker Panel) When Will I Have My Warp Power On Line ?

Airconditioning is going to run you 2500 bucks, plus duct work.

The average boat your size and style (no aft compartment) will need a 16,500 btu unit - that only needs about 13 amps to run. A Honda 2000 ran my Mermaid 16.5k btu installed A/C just fine, water pump included (with a soft start).

What I'm saying is you will not need a 5000 watt Gen for 'just' A/C.

On the other hand even tiny little water cooled diesel generators will run you 6-7k installed. That's a hefty chunk of change for your boat (I'm guess that's more than 1/4 what you paid for it). You will not get that back at resale.
Used 3.5k watt gen's are out there, you'll be competing with me to find and buy one.

You do NOT want to go with a less expensive air cooled diesel, what you save in money you'll blow in ear plugs and gas masks, even if mounted above decks. It's hard to be cool in the A/C when you have a jet engine next to your ear.

The one's I've seen fit in a space that's roughly a 2x2x2 cube and used can be found for 3k or so.

You might want to look at low cost alternatives (I've been forced to by the price). A 2.6 - 2.8kw portable gas generator and a Cruisaire a/c can be had for as little as 2k. I found used Cruisaire's in working condition for as little as 400 bucks. You'll be carrying gas for your dinghy motor, more isn't an issue.