SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone sailed a Baba 40? Tayana 42?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Anyone sailed a Baba 40? Tayana 42?

Has anyone sailed a Baba 40 or Tayana 42? I will be putting my hard saved dollars into a boat for long distance long term (2-5 years) sailing across oceans. My concern with these boats is light wind performance which will undoubtedly account for a large portion of my time offshore. I just cannot fathom weeks of steaming to a destination. I will not be able to evaluate their relative performance myself -even after talking to several brokers. I'll only be able to sail on yachts I have an active open bid on. Don't want to take forever on this…

OK, I know they will not be stellar performers in 8 - 10 knots of wind. Really, these are 28,000 lb displacement boats before all my gear and provisioning (at least). I'd be happy as a bug -I think- in them in 25 knots+. I am a sailmaker in a previous life and and a racer but have done many thousands of cruising miles also.

So what hull speed should I expect in these in a close reach at say 10 knots? What would a Passport 40 speed be in the same situation?

I am really leaning towards the Kelly Peterson 44 for performance as it's no. 1 on my list but not sure if I can afford one in good enough shape even though I really prefer aft-cockpits, I would settle for a KP44 CC.

Lets suppose If I were to sail from Hawaii back to California and encountered a lot of headwinds, how many days behind something like a (Passport 40, Caliber40 etc.) would a Baba 40 be in days? Would it trail in 2 days later? Or 10 days?

I think Bob Perry's designs are just fantastic balances between comfort and speed with their relatively modern underbodys. Just not sure if I can afford one. Anyone know of a KP44 ready to go?

Would love to hear your evaluation of sailing a Baba 40 especially if you can reference it to some of the boats I've mentioned. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook