SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn43 View Post
Gene,

I enjoy humor. No problem. I have read about stuffing boxes running cool and hot, but no one ever quantifies what hot is. My stuffing box currently gets warm (or hot) enough to where if I touch it I can not keep my fingers on it for more than a second or two. I have purchased a remote laser type thermometer but have not yet had a chance to take an actual reading of the temperature of the stuffing box. Have you or anyone taken any temperature readings of the stuffing box?
That is too hot. Figure in the neighbor hood of 60 Deg C. Cool enough to touch but not continue touching. Should be no warmer than lukewarm. I used to grease Teflon packing with Teflon grease. I could run it without dripping and it would not get warm. This tells us the grease in yours is not lubricating the packing. You need to loosen it till it drips or repack it. I would just repack it properly, easy job even with the boat in the water. Good time to do an alignment too (not such an easy job but that is another subject).

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook