SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone here have first hand experience on a Cape Dory Typhoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I had a Sailmaster 22 that I sailed all over the Chesapeake. It was a full keel, attached rudder, and centerboard (S&S Design) that would let me get into 2.5 feet of water. However, it is this boat that helped me formulate my therom that one should not sail in winds where the wind speed in knots exceeds the waterline length of the boat. A major contributing factor, however was the huge main that was very difficult to reef (roller reefing being what it is). The full keel with attached rudder allowed us to laugh at the crab pots. Never once snagged one.
Have fun shopping.
I must say that Sailmaster 22 is one of my favorite designs of all time. I have often thought that when I got too old to push big boats around, I would go back and and buy one of the Keel centerboarders of that era: something like a Sailmaster 22, Dolphin 24 or Morgan 25, and go explore the quiet corners of the Bay that were too shallow for my deeper draft boats.

Of course I would add modern sails, change deck hardware so you never had to go on deck, and the reefing so I could reef on the fly.

Hey, don't shoot me, I said when I was older, not dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook