SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scotty, (Replace Old DC Breaker Panel) When Will I Have My Warp Power On Line ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Scotty, (Replace Old DC Breaker Panel) When Will I Have My Warp Power On Line ?

I hear you on the hate/can't handle the heat.

That Mermaid draws 13 amps, 1550 watts, add in another 2 or 300w for the water pump it needs to run and for just air cond that's all you need for a genset.

If you put a loud stinky gen on deck don't be surprised when no one in the anchorage wants to be your friend.
Check eBay and craigslist etc in your area, lots of deals that scare me off because I don't have the expertise.
You do have the expertise.
Since you are not using the gen to run sensitive electronics you are not tied to the very precise 60hz deal, and a little flux won't hurt. And of course any extra wattage is good because you can turn on your AC charger and top batteries.

If you can't find a small generator in your price range you could make up a power take off (PTO) from your main diesel and either direct couple a genset head or put it to a clutch driven pulley that drives a genset head. You need to be able to uncouple/de clutch it because at high RPM's you would burn the gen set up.
Even though you don't need the (usually 3600 rpm) to get the 60 cycle right - you will need close to that to get the voltage right. I'd suggest doing it so the genset head gets the right RPM's at your main's idle speed. Doing that allows you to put a less expensive or even salvaged genset head from a house type 5k watt generator. Of course you can do the same 'build your own gen' deal from a stand alone diesel also - it would cost a lot less.

There are specific forums (i.e. not sailnet) that yak about this stuff all day long. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did read a lot of crap about building my own genset; especially after I saw the price of a Onan/Northstar etc.. 4k unit.