SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garbage Island
Thread: Garbage Island
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Garbage Island

I know several companies are working on recycling systems that will turn any plastics back into usable fuels or other materials using technologies that make it much more practical then it is today, and using more forms of plastic then are recyclable today.

My someday sci-fi hope is that with the rising cost of crude oil, the value of recyclable plastics will rise so high it will become commercially viable to "mine" the plastics from the oceans in places like the "great pacific garbage patch".

I can someday see wind or solar powered boats scooting around with large nets catching this stuff for profit.

I know, it's just a sci-fi fantasy with lots of practical issues, but I can hope...

I too have wondered many times what can be done to raise awareness and get things changed. Seems like the only thing that will change the masses is economic return, so I hope someday it at least becomes to economically costly to throw plastics away, even if it's not economically viable to go in search of what we've already discarded.

And Chuck, thanks for the videos, I watch them all and enjoy them immensely.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook