SailNet Community - View Single Post - The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

Lost another 10 hours to repairs, 5 yesterday and 5 today. The stuffing box was dripping pretty hard, which really has me worried. Two boat yards later, $40 shelled out, and it's still leaking, but not quite as fast. Hopefully, when I get to Stuart I'll be able to find someone that knows what they're doing.

I left the second boat yard this afternoon at 1 p.m., crossed Ponce de Leon Inlet, thought about heading offshore, but after looking at the charts I quickly discovered there was no place to come back in for more than 100 miles. Didn're relish the thought of heaving too 20 or 30 miles offshore and grabbing some shut eye. OH how I miss Melissa.

Consequently, I stayed inside, ran the ditch with the jib sail out and averaged about 7 MPH, which isn't bad for motorsailing with the engine at about 1800 RPM. I figured I would make Titusville, Florida by 5:30 p.m.. WRONG! Darkness set in at 5:30, no moon, no stars, and 4 blinding lights on the shore that destroyed any hope of night vision. Therefore navigating in these tight quarters was GPS/Plotter ONLY.

When the night turned pitch black, I got my spotlight out of the locker and quickly discovered the damned lithium batteries were dead as a doornail, so I dug out my trusty maglight. Turned on the light at the first day-marker, the bulb flashed and it went dead. The only light remaining was a tiny LED flashlight with 7 bulbs that was intended for home use. It lit up the markers from a distance of about 40 feet.

I was able to sloooooly pick my way into Titusville Municipal Marina in inky darkness, and with the help of the dock master I'm tied up. It was a very looooong day, I just finshed dinner at 8 p.m., then fired up the PC.

Mel, you ARE the ONLY ONE! Honest. I promise not to stray.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook