SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Welcome to Solomon's Island-
But first , What a great thing to get together w/ another Sailnetter ! We had the pleasure of a cup o java with WingNwing and Mr. WingNwing in Annapolis, And I Have to say they are even nicer and more interesting in person than online ! Next time I'll try to breath between sentences, promise !
We Departed Annapolis At 8am and Sailed all the way to drum point without ever running the engine seeing speeds from 7.5 mph to as slow as 1.8mph it was absolutely beautiful.
I started w/ the new main and a jib ,then added a staysail . when the wind lightened about Cesapeake beach I swithed out to a Real light large Spinaker I traded for, a few years back, from a sailor who wanted a sun cover for a roller headsail, a good trade. And only about the second time I got to use it. It worked great and was fun to ghost along. the sea state was pretty flat. a Great ride.
Along the way I remembered that in my last trip to Bacon's I got overwhelmed and forgot to get batten's for the main. So when I hoisted it the trailing edge was all curled and had a resulting poor shape.
Not to worry though , I had some Ceadar Strips onboard and when I raised the Spinaker it was calm and warm and sunny enough for me to go forward on the deck and set up a saw horse/bucket and get out the battery operated skill saw and tools to make 4 battens from ceadar. they work and look good and now the sail shape is as close to perfect as I could imagine. I'm realy stylin' !

At Solomons we anchored up the creek near the hotels,our usual spot. Now the watermen are heading out to work, and rockin' the boat. Soon the crew will awake and it'll be another great day, for sure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook