SailNet Community - View Single Post - Breasting my fin keel? Help please.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

I would like to take advantage of mother nature's dry dock and set my Islander 28's fin keel down, tie off to support the bow, let the tide go out and have the hull out of the water. It doesn't seem like it should be a big deal. We have 10ft. of tide. There is a very robust, well protected (not sunny) location on the town pier with draft enough to more than take care of the boat's 5' needs. I can place a permanent keel block on/in the bottom myself and locate it for the boat. I can also tie a rigid standoff to the dock to tie the boat against for stability and spacing. Am I missing something? Is it possible to keep the boat level on its fin keel while dried out? I have no experience. I can certainly add a boat stand under the bow as the tide drops. I don't mind getting wet and the bottom is very hard. If this makes sense I will get busy placing a keel block. I have options there. It could be a flat block of granite or an anchored (not sure how yet perhaps bolted to the granite) 6" x 12" x 3' piece of hemlock. Suggestions on how this is done will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 11-10-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook