SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Paulo, hi - great thread ! The Moody 41 has probably deserved to sell more hulls than it has; but the show / demo boats all have the optional high gloss timber interiors and oval portlights which must put off a few people.

The other thing which afflicts most twin wheeled yachts under 13 metres is that you can't lie down on the cockpit seats because they terminate at the aft end with a solid moulding for the steering pedastal. At least with a single wheel you can stretch out - even if your legs hang slightly over the end. This is an important feature for me - especially in warmer climates where on-deck sleeping is a happy option ! I tested the Moody 41 for this at the Southampton Boat Show and it failed miserably, which is a backward step on a yacht this size.

Thoughts ?

Cheers, Robert
That's simple: I agree on both counts Of course twin wheels offer a lot of advantages even in what regards sailing, giving a much faster and easier access to all winches.

Regarding having space to lay down, I use it not only for that but also to sail/sleep at night when I am voyaging and have to solo sail the boat.

But even if many 41fts with that size and twin wheels have that problem, I checked that out that in the Salona 41 (one week sailing in the boat) and it has a much bigger space on the cockpit bench. Not really enough for me (with 1.90m I have space but the feet are out) but I had planed to have them make a foldable small teak extension just to have support for the feet. It seemed easy to do and the guys from Salona would do it.

By the way they have a new graphic look on the Salona 41 that I like, have a look:

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook