SailNet Community - View Single Post - Breasting my fin keel? Help please.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

James,

At first that question puzzled me. Just for a couple of seconds until I realized that my situation is probably not "mainstream"? The reason is to have access to the hull below the waterline without putting on my scuba gear. All the reasons from inspecting, removing pot warps from the shaft, cleaning, zincs, painting, ... It also would make keeping the boat in the water for 12 months without paying Hinckley or Morris $10.00/foot to lift it,not to mention the mast, or haul it to a storage location for annual stuff.

I have the gear. I have the time. It would be much simpler than having a yard involved. I also have an excellent location. Town dock, breasting location for lobster boats, no parking conflicts, very hard bottom, 5 minute drive from my house with a single stop sign. Not crowded, protected, I can row out to the boat and have it at the dock in 15 minutes. I am retired! A big plus! Skipping a year's haul / storage expense, not to mention having the boat all year long. ( It rains every month here.) All of those seem like good reasons to me.

There must be lots of folks in the PNW that do this?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook