SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat, no experiance, what to get?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat, no experiance, what to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
So can a few of you help a new guy out, I was going to hitch a ride this summer, with hopes of getting onto a club race crew. Well screw that Iím not waiting. Iím going to go out and buy my own boat. Yes I have no idea what I am doing. But that has never stopped me before. Now the question is what to get?
Laser, Sunfish, C-lark?
I have never sailed before, so I was thinking something with just a main sail would be more than enough to get me started without all the confusion of everything else. Or will I quickly become bored? I am just interested in playing out in Martinez Ca. and if there is a race I would happily sign up and plow dead on into everyone else.
I would like to single hand it, and it needs to be able to be set up by one person, I donít care if it slides into the back of the truck or has a little trailer.
I would like the setup to be under $2k (yes I know that is some of you guys drink budget for a weekend)

Thanks for the help in pointing a new kid in the right direction.
My Goal is to have some fun and get out of the house on the weekends.

Fav quote of the day
"Dude, it's really not that hard. Just be conservative and safety conscious - and be very observant in order to educate yourself. You probably won't die."
Ron--You need something that is relatively easily managed and affordable to begin with. (You would also be wise to look up some of the local sailing venues and take one or more of the introductory classes to help you along. Also, pick up a copy of "Sailing for Dummies", which is an excellent reference.) If you don't mind the possibility of getting wet (and have a wet suit considering your locale) an Escape Rumba is a great little boat with a roller furling sail that makes a good training platform and is a lot of fun (we have one). About the size of a Laser but less costly, lighter and easier to manage (IMHO). Stepping up a little are the boats such as a Lido 14, which is a great sailing dinghy, can easily be sailed without the little jib, and is equally forgiving. When I was a kid we sailed one all over hecks half acre from Marina Del Rey (in the summer) and really had a lot of fun with it, tho' occasionally freaked out parents when the wind failed us and we had to paddle home, not arriving until 0'dark:30 AM (more than once). These days there are cell phones, PLB's, hand held GPS's and small water-proof VHF's that give one the ability to reach out and touch some one if needed (we carry all of the foregoing plus some other safety/emergency supplies when we set out on "explorations" on our Rumba--aka "Rumbaba").

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook