SailNet Community - View Single Post - For experienced cruisers ...
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: For experienced cruisers ...

1. What model of boat did you use (are you using)? When was it built?
A 1990 Irwin 54 CC cutter.

2. If you could make one change to this boat, what would it be?
A taller rig with a boom furling instead of mast furling rig.
Easier access to the engine and generator space
Hard top instead of bimminie

3. Assume you cannot choose your own boat, what other boat of similar cost would you choose for long-distance cruising?
Right now I would probably choose a large cat. I do not know enough about different models to make a selection.

4. If money were not an object for either getting the boat or operating it, what boat would you choose for long-distance cruising?
Large cat.

5. How many offshore miles do you have with your own boat?
On the Irwin maybe about 12,000. Collectively on sailboats, about 30,000. Total on all boats about 50,000. I never actually counted it up though.

6. Please give one or more hints - things that you wish you had known when you were starting out cruising. These can be about boat choice, philosophy, destinations, crewing, food - you name it. Please give as many as you like.
-Never sail to a schedule. It is the most dangerous thing you can do
-take a community college course in diesel repair, unless you already know how to rebuild one
-same for electrical repair
- Take pictures of everything before you disassemble it
- don't be afraid to take on crew you don't know. Don't worry about kicking them off the boat if it doesn't work out.
- fresh fruits are generally in easy supply. Things like meat and cheese are much more difficult to find, and generally have to brought in from the states.
-a frozen slab of meat will stay frozen for about a day when wrapped in the middle of luggage