SailNet Community - View Single Post - Market value vs replacment cost
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I would not put much weight on a surveyor's estimate of market value - I suspect most surveyors would do an exercise such as run the selling prices of similar models over the past year off yachtworld.com and average the results. Coming up with a accurate market value for a boat is a complicated and timely exercise due to the large number of variables that deserve to be considered and are different for every boat. Working off some market average in particular under-values the best boats, and over-values the worst!

Our insurance company set the market value of our boat at the purchase price - after a few years of upgrades, we had to provide them with yard bills in order to get the market value increased. For a subsequent insurance vlaue survey, the surveyor asked us what value we wanted the boat insured at, and went with that - i don't know what he would ahve said if we wanted a big jump in valus - i assume he would have questioned us.

When I bought my last boat, i made a schedule for price adjustments for pluses and minuses, versus the average "market value" to get some some adjusted value for a specific boat. For example, a boat with a new 35 Hp diesel would get +$10,000, one with a diesel with 4,000 hours would get -$10,000...You should take your negotiating from that calculation - bye the bye, I think it works out much better to pay above "market value" for well upgraded and equipped boat, than to look for a deal.

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-02-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook