SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Thanks, but you put it together. I sent you about all I could find with the pics and you used them all really well. Nice job!

I've never raced the Chicago-Mac but I sailed up there 8 times. In 2011, the race had its first fatalities when a storm clocking 100 knots tore through the racers. Here's a video of one boat coming into the storm. This is an enormous BFS!
Mackinac - The Storm to remember 2011 - YouTube

This is what was left of the boat that had loss of life, Wingnuts, a Kiwi 35
Wingnuts 7-19-2011 - YouTube
That was definitely one crazy wicked storm. I followed the whole thing pretty closely when it was going on. What happened to Wingnuts was a major tragedy. A boat design that was very vulnerable to exactly what hit it.

BFS is always about facing big conditions, yes...but it's much more about coming home...then excitedly telling your story for years. Go big - but stay safe.

PS - Here's the best and most sobering video I've seen from the 2011 Mac:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook