Thread: Garbage Island
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garbage Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For sure, it isn't only from the tsunamis and hurricanes, I'm only suggesting you can't get to zero.
True, sadly. But it can be reduced substantially I hope. By reducing the amount of synthetic, non-biodegradable packaging and educating the populace to properly dispose of trash we can certainly make a dent it.

Much of the debris we found was derelict fishing gear that is nowadays made of plastics. It floats until it collects enough marine growth to sink it. then it is out of sight but still there floating below the surface. That gear is not cheap and fishermen don't cut it loose on purpose. I don't know what the solution to that part of the problem might be - different materials that will do the job more economically and bio-degrade more quickly is the only thing I can think of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook