SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Almost nice enough today to make you want to stay in the Chesapeake for the winter !
But I'm sure it won't last.
After anchoring last nite near the Marine Museum in Solomons Is. I slept Better than I have in some time.
Awaken by the weekend fishing boats leaving out to enjoy the wonderful weekend November weather.
After a bit of prodding convinced "Marina the cabin girl" to release the apron strings of Mama to come ashore w/ dad to gather wood for the stove and a dinghy ride. And give Mom a bit of well deserved solitude.
We dnghied into the Museum Dock to find a sign reading "Museum Patrons only" This was a bit discerning as in the past I remembered no such signage.
But I wasn't discouraged, as there was an older gentleman and a young man on the docks working on one of the several wood boats docked there.
So, we docked and approched them asking if we could possibly tie up for a while to gather wood for Our wood stove and pointed out our craft at anchor.
Well, not only were we welcome to dock, but they had an abundance of wood scraps just the right size for my little on board stove (the Mini Smith -named after my good friend Mr.Smith who helped construct it)
So , it was easy wood gathering and we're burning exotic woods to boot!
Then we hoisted anchor to find a Fuel dock to pump out and replenish the water supply after which we went even further up back creek to anchor near the Holiday inn dinghy dock to get ashore for Alcohol for the stove and easier dinghy dockage.
After re-setting the hook and having lunch ,while I make sure of a good set of the anchor, I dingied into Holiday inn to check out the situation.
There I met Tom the dockmaster who told me "don't worry about it" when I enquired about dingy dockage fees, and Another sailor named Dave who was a "seasoned" sailor living aboard a 22' tanzer, from first sighting I hit it off w/ Dave and we swapped sailor stories, he even has a cat aboard, as do we.
After that, I was prepared to do the bus thing to get to Lowes for the Alcohol and wallked towards the main road to find a bus.
Not 100' down the drive I see a small group of people leaving the dock w/ "sneads ace Hardware" shirts on and jokingly asked if they worked there. to my suprise they all said "yes, we are the franchise owners !" what luck, I explained that I was on my way to find Alcohol for my stove and that we were travelng south and they said they would give me a ride there and back ! what luck. they were super friendly and very interested in our little journey and we had a nice chat there and back , talk about lucky.
Now back on the boat looking forward to another good nights rest, tommorrow maybe wander onshore a little and see what's around while we wait for a northern wind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook