SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Norman
Thread: Lake Norman
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012

biology is on a distinguished road
Re: Lake Norman

Airbus,

I've got a 27' on Lake Norman. It's a large lake with lots of surface area but has lots of inlets and shoreline so you never really feel like you're on a huge lake. There's plenty of sailing to be done, the wind is usually great, and you can even find spots for gunkholing. The lake is formed by a damn for generating electricity and the max depth is somewhere around 110'. There are detailed charts available for navigating with accurate depths and shoals/objects are well-marked.

There's a fairly large sailing community on the lake with several yacht clubs/sailing clubs... some are pretty expensive, some are more reasonable. If you don't want to drop lots of money on a club membership there are still lots of private marinas you can lease slip space. There are lots of marinas in general with full services and several that have dockside bars/restaurants. You probably won't have trouble finding a boat if you don't have one you're bringing along. There are lots of sailboats for sail... always. Just check craigslist for Charlotte, NC and you'll see there's a WIDE variety (early 80s 25'+ boats anywhere from $1500 to $15000).

You could check out the Lake Norman Yacht Club (Home - Lake Norman Yacht Club). There are a lot of nice folks there and lots of races. There are quite a few races amongst all the yacht/sailing clubs.

I usually have a fishing line trolling off the back while sailing and haven't had a day yet where I haven't caught a decent sized small mouth. It's a good lake and I've always enjoyed my time on it.

message me if you have any specific questions... I live about an hour from the lake and make it there at least once a week.