SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is your favorite U.S. state to go sailing / cruising?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajimo View Post
Why Maine? Never been there but thinking about it next summer to escape the Louisiana heat.
I lived in Portland, ME for two years. Moved to the Boston area last year but still keep my boat in Maine. It's a beautiful area with a magnificent coastline. The good cruising is mainly north of Portland from Casco Bay up to Penobscot Bay (and further on to Canada if you so desire). There are endless islands, rivers and coves to explore, you can cruise from Portland to Acadia National Park without having to sail overnight, there are lots of harbors and secluded anchorages. My sailing so far has all been in Casco Bay but I'm planning to sail up to Penobscot Bay next summer (my parents live up there).

Here's an old article from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/18/tr...l?pagewanted=1

If you are thinking of cruising the Maine coast, this is an indispensable resource:
A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast - 5th Ed.: Amazon.com: Books A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast - 5th Ed.: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by steve77; 11-10-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook