SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior painting time!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Interior painting time!

So it's finally time for me to paint my V-berth! Well almost time, the previous owners' paint jobs are making it interesting. At best guess they half sanded down(and didn't prime ) then coated it with interlux white enamel.
As a result, masking tape pulls up paint to reveal the hideous pink colour underneath or raw fiberglass. So does brushing against the paint, in areas that were hard to clean up(in corners, along hull-deck joint etc) there are huge flakes peeling with tons of mold behind it. Mold in most areas with flaking, based on how dirty the pink paint looks underneath I'm thinking someone sanded down, then it was left for a few years, then coated without cleaning.

In the interest of never ever having this much fun again, I'm going to use a primer specifically for going over fiberglass, metal and other smooth surfaces. I've scraped and scraped and sanded some more, then scraped some more. There always seems to be another area that is easy to scrape if I have time but the loose stuff at least is all gone.

I will put on 2 coats of the primer, then topcoat.
I'm either going with a scrubable acrylic(semi-gloss, off white)
which offers the advantages of:
cleanable but not as blindingly obvious with every defect as glossy.
Less toxic to work with
easy to buy, I can get it at the local paint shop easily, and it bonds well with this primer(bought both together).

Disadvantages:
Not same colour as boat is now, so I'll be doing all of it.
Not as quick drying.
Harder to clean

Rustolem speedy dry enamel advantages:

White, pretty much the same white as the boat is already covered in(interlux yacht enamel) which will make it easier to do things piece by piece and still have the whole boat look consistent.
Quick drying, it's full of the good stuff(xylene etc).
Easier to clean.

Disadvantages:
Will show defects easily
Can't buy more, it seems to have been pulled from all the shelves.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook