SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior painting time!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Interior painting time!

Damnit, Everything I was coming across online said not to use mildew/mold resistant paints due to toxicity issues in a small enclosed space like a boat. Especially since I live aboard.

I am still a bit worried about the toughness of the acrylic surface vs the enamel, but considering the poor adhesion of the previous enamel I guess it doesn't matter.

I have a gallon of each (primer, acrylic and rustoleum enamel).

The rustoleum is plain white, and seems to match the white they'd used before exactly(interlux yacht enamel white) so easy to get more of if I can find a source that still sells it.
The acrylic is from the commercial paint store, and I have the colour codes for it, it's a bit warmer and only semi-gloss instead of full gloss.

Should I get a mildewcide additive, I had planned to avoid it based on what I'd read, but not spending so much time cleaning would be a big plus!

Tardis: You primed behind insulation? I have been on the fence about that, decided not to since I wasn't using the mold/mildew resistant stuff, but it would be nice not to have things growing back there. I went with 1/2" closed cell foam all over, reflectix only in compartments that it is hard to work with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook