View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Alain97133

ALAIN97133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Alaine-

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, because I think they look pretty cool with their low freeboard etc. Do you know about their construction? Are they balsa cored? Anything in particular to watch out for when inspecting one? They appear to have a relatively low ballast/displacement ratio, so I'm a bit concerned that it may be a bit tender. I'm also not sure how I feel about the "wheel house" set up, rather than having the wheel on the center line of the boat on a pedestal. I appreciate all of the advice so far! Keep it coming!

-Brandon
Also.... Since I read your first question on Amels, I went to review several Amel sailboats for sale in France: First of all, I have to recognise that they look better now that Mr Amel is sailing among angels (He had been blind for several years...Sad). Concerning the off center wheel, I've done some serious offshore sailing & I can confirm that we spent very little time steering; our Aries windvane use to do it for us most of the time, but I remember motoring the Intracoastal Waterway alone between Norflok & Beaufort on my way to the West Indies -between the last hurricane & the first winter gale (Late November, early December)- & I froze my a... for hours every time (Did it 3 times), I wouldn't have minded an off center protected wheel !
Also: The deck might be balsa cored but not the hull. Remember: The problem with balsa cored deck is not the original construction, it's what owners add latter on: The original equipment, installed by the shipyard, is -most of the time & always with Amel's- well done, i.e. they replace the balsa core with solid wood where they install winches, windlass, chainplates etc... The problem is what owners add latter on, without proper technical knowledge...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook