SailNet Community - View Single Post - Breasting my fin keel? Help please.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Breasting my fin keel? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
down, you're not crazy,
Hello, That is a relief. I have been accused of that more than once over the years and this is one of the "ideas" I had not even considered on the fringe. Ha!

This forum and these replies are priceless. Having access to this collection of kindred spirits is amazing!

Deciding on how to prepare the bottom to set the keel down on is coming together. I like the idea of a firm base without the hemlock block. My location is along the eastern shore of a N/S harbor. The harbor has a muddy/sandy bottom but along this shore beautiful red granite is the material the town dock is built on, made of and composes the rubble that I will be sitting on. I can prepare the exact location by simply doing a bit of "yard work" on the area. It will give me a crushed granite base on bedrock (already in place) and I can top it with some of the finer material. Leveling it won't be a problem. A coarse granite sand bed will provide good "grip" and should clean any life away. Pouring "Quickcreet" might garner a bit of attention here without a folder full of permits. Leveling a spot in the "gravel" to set my boat on will be respected.

Bow in for sure. Outboard legs, too.

Thanks,

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook