SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Nice videos re the macinac race last year.

Those fronts come in like freight trains sometimes. About a month ago, while distance racing on an evelyn 26 with some add on crew, we had a front blow on through. We saw it coming on the water about 3 miles away, so we figured we had some time. Literally ten seconds later it hit us full on. We autotacked and were taken aback when an at least 25 knot sustained wind hit us with full genny and lightwind settings and the boat was knocked down to over 90 degrees, spreader in the water. I could see the crew on the low side literally floating near the cabintop until the helm finally got the sheets released and we popped back up. Conditions went from 8-10 knots wind, sunny and flat, to 25 gusting higher with rain and 4' steep chop/swells within 2 minutes flat.

I have always wanted a trimaran, but after broaching and getting knocked down this season with experienced racers as crew, it makes me think we prob would have capsized a trimaran if we had one. At least monohulls pop back up when u screw up... Except j/24's ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook