SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do other folks use?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: What do other folks use?

I have a WM (Zodiac) inflatable with a wood floor. It fit the budget, and is a good compromise between the roll-up (slat floor) and a RIB. It takes me about ˝ hour to convert it from an 85lb 2' x3' x 4' package into a 9' boat. It works well enough with my 3.5hp 2-stroke to get itself and my 190lbs up on a plane. It rows OK, but I would not want to row it for miles at a time.

I like inflatables because they are very stable, and have an excellent load carrying capacity. Look at any nearby dinghy dock; what kind of boat do you see: inflatables.

Many other folks here use, and love their Porta-bote. This is a fold-able boat, that is god-awful ugly, but more rugged than an inflatable. I understand that you can drag them up on a beach of shells without a care. I also understand that they row well. The down side is that these do not have the same carrying capacity, and are "tippy."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook