SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
When hove-to, the rudder should be to windward, not leeward. The tiller is to leeward.
Understood - and that's what I meant to write but I'm getting old.

On Friday, I took out a Catalina 22 with the taller mast (now THAT was much more fun - I was hauling a** in that boat with the great winds we had on Pensacola Bay).

Practicing my heave-to over and over again, I tried letting the boat slow way down after letting out the main, then turn the tiller to leeward. From appearances, it seems that even with the main let out there's still enough forward speed to cause the boat to turn into wind when I go leeward with the tiller. I waited and waited and could still see the boat moving at what seems a good pace with the main let "all the way out" (the sail pressing up against (and stopped by) the shrouds).

Literally, the boat would head up so fast that it would tack, causing the main to swing to the other side. Then I'd move the tiller leeward in that direction and the boat would head up again, and when I moved the tiller WITH it, following the main, things would balance out and the boat would become properly hove to. Almost as if it needs that action to slow down enough and bleed off its natural speed even more so that I get the result I'm looking for.

I tried moving the tiller at the same pace & rate simultaneously with the main letting out - no workee. After the main, fast - no workee. After the main, slow - no workee.

Maybe I should start out facing the wind with the main in irons, and then bear away while releasing the mainsheet; and, as the boat goes to a beam reach and the main goes all the way out, move the tiller to leeward. Hmmm...I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Pity I only just thought of it.

I'm wondering if this Catalina 22 configuration (1985) doesn't allow it to slow down enough the first time to prevent the heading-up/tacking motion on the first try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer

Last edited by TerralTheSeeker; 11-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook