Thread: Garbage Island
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garbage Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
There is trash washing up on Washington beaches daily from the tsunami, so much that the feds have kicked in some cash to help with the disposal. You would have sailed right through the middle of it on your route. They expect it to continue for another year I think. I've got two aluminum net floats from Japan sitting right here beside me from the beach a little while ago, there are boats, docks, you name it coming across the N Pacific.
The 2011 tsunami made it worse, no question. But do not make the mistake of thinking that that event was the cause. We saw a disturbing amount of trash in mid Pacific in 1999 when we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii in the Endeavour Replica, more in 2007 when we took Lealea from Hawaii to Washington. We can't do anything about natural disasters but we each, one person at a time, can certainly do something about the problem of pollution in the seas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook