SailNet Community - View Single Post - Freedoms, Niagaras, and Wauquiez - oh my
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: Freedoms, Niagaras, and Wauquiez - oh my

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to single hand sail around SF Bay and on longer offshore races in the region. I also want to do some extended cruising (month or two) and may live aboard 2-3 years from now. These are not easy things to merge into the same vessel. It's funny that Faster suggests that the Coast and CS are on opposite ends of the spectrum. They are currently my two top picks and other than the high freeboard on the Coast, I don't see the chasm between them. The Freedoms are still close by in 3rd now. I realize they are markedly different in their own ways, but what's the best way to compare them for what I want to do? Should I be considering: displacement/hull ratio, beam width, quality of rigging, keel type, hull speed, capsize value, all of the above? I've obsessively done (and continue to do) a lot of research, so it's not for lack of trying, but I had considered them all quite capable for the type of sailing I want to do. Given that I can't take them all out for a test ride, there is quite a bit of pressure to choose well and right the first time...further thoughts would be great to hear :-)

Oh, there was a typo in my first post about the location of these boats -- I meant Pacific NW -- though it was probably obvious.

Cheers,

C.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook