SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

The picture you posted has little to do with the sea conditions that were actually pictured in the Bounty sinking. That's exactly what I am getting at. That picture looks like something from a North Sea storm and I can't see the slightest significance in posting it. What's the point? The pictures of the Bounty adrift or the pictures looking down from the chopper just don't show those kinds of conditions. Not only that but where they ran into trouble was well southwest and away from the center of the storm. They were in TS force winds. The reported wind was 40 knots or so, due east, not NE, indicating it was not opposing the GS and heaping up the seas. Getting into a lifeboat is difficult to impossible for many folks in calm conditions, something not publicized enough. Getting from a sinking ship up into a liferaft in moderate seas is not easy, especially with a thermal suit on. From what I've been able to learn, IMO, it will be determined that she went down primarily because the pumps stopped working and she flooded, not because she was overwhelmed by high seas and breaking waves. And again, she should not have been there to begin with.